Protein pancakes are one of my favorite things to have for breakkie since I absolutely love pancakes but I can’t justify stuffing myself full of sugary carbs first thing in the morning. I came up this recipe when I was craving carrot cake (it was easter!) for breakfast so I decided to make healthy carrot cake protein pancakes and they tasted amazing! Yes, I said HEALTHY pancakes. …Now I can have pancakes for breakfast every morning 🙂
Btw, DON’T try to replace the whey protein powder with another type of protein powder. I tried to substitute it with soy protein powder one morning and ended up with a ball of dough instead of batter. Trust me, don’t do it!!
Typically, my favorite powder to use is optimum nutrition’s whey powder in vanilla flavour but I can’t seem to find it in the UK so let me know if you have some good suggestions!
Carrot Cake Protein Pancakes Recipe
For the protein pancakes:
- 1/2 of a Banana, mashed (preferably ripe)
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg whites
- 2 tbsp milk / almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla / flavourless whey protein powder
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- cinnamon powder to taste
- ground nutmeg to taste
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
For the easy cream cheese frosting:
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Protein Pancakes:
- Mash up half a banana, put it in a bowl and crack in an egg and 2 tablespoons of milk – mix well
- Add in a scoop of whey protein powder and mix very well until any lumps have disappeared
- Sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg to taste, as well as two tablespoons of ground flax seed and mix well.
- Add in the carrots, raisins and walnuts or pecans and stir in. (if you want, you can plump up the raisins in some warm water 5 mins before adding them into the mixture)
- Add in 1/2 tsp of baking powder and mix well
- warm up skillet or frying pan on a medium heat and add some oil or butter (I use extra virgin coconut oil)
- pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet and flip as soon as little bubbles appear on the surface or when the other side is golden brown. These pancakes cook a lot faster than regular pancakes so you will want to check that they haven’t browned too much before flipping!
- Stack on a plate and serve warm, topped with real maple syrup or with really easy “cream cheese frosting” – takes 30 seconds and requires no whipping!! Do it!!
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Place greek yogurt and vanilla extract in a microwavable bowl
- Add maple syrup to taste, mix well and microwave for 30 seconds or until warm.